Re: HTTP_ACCEPT env CERN only???

Brian Behlendorf (brian@organic.com)
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 22:08:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 16 Aug 1995, Kevin J. Dyer wrote:
> I apologize if this is not the right forum, but
> similar queries have been made in this wg.

This is not the right forum. This has nothing to do with HTML. This is
at best an HTTP question, but it's mostly a
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi question.

> I am constructing several cgi scripts and have found the environment variable
> HTTP_ACCEPT in the CERN code a helpful tool when I have to make a decision on
> what to put into the html or not, as the case might be.

As a CGI environment variable this is in all compliant CGI 1.1 servers (which
includes NCSA 1.3 and above, Apache, and all the commercial servers I've seen
which implement CGI) as it is really a header which is passed on the
request, and all headers (except the method) are passed to the CGI
environment with the HTTP_ prefix applied.

Obligatory www-html relevancy: hopefully authors of HTML browsers will
make sure they add the appropriate Accept: headers as they start
implementing 2.x features.

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/