Re: HTML and not being cached!!

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@beach.w3.org)
Tue, 01 Aug 1995 08:23:35 -0400

In message <v01510101ac43b19356d7@[193.67.243.100]>, Christian Dackus writes:
>My quetion:
>
>How can I prevent my HTML-page from being cached. I want my HTML-page to be
>uploaded from a server everytime the user asks the page. This is because
>this page changes constantly.

I assume this HTML page is being delivered via HTTP. Hence
this is really a question about the behaviour of HTTP clients
and servers. Have you checked the HTTP spec? How about your
server documentation?

7.1 Entity Header Fields
Sun Mar 12 18:36:52 1995
http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Protocols/HTTP1.0/HTTP1.0-ID_30.html

|7.1.8 Expires
|
|The Expires field gives the date/time after which the entity should be
|considered stale. This allows information providers to suggest the
|volatility of the resource. Caching clients (including proxies) must
|not cache this copy of the resource beyond the date given, unless its
|status has been updated by a later check of the origin server.

See also:

http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_5.html#SEC30
Hypertext Markup Language - 2.0 - Document Structure
Fri Jun 16 19:56:22 1995
|Examples
|
|If the document contains:
|
|<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires"
| CONTENT="Tue, 04 Dec 1993 21:29:02 GMT">
|<META HTTP-EQUIV="Reply-to"
| content="fielding@ics.uci.edu (Roy Fielding)">
|<Meta Http-equiv="Keywords" CONTENT="Barney">
|
|then the server may include the following header fields:
|
|Expires: Tue, 04 Dec 1993 21:29:02 GMT

Dan