Re: GIFS on web pages

Mike Sandburg (mikesand@northnet.org)
Wed, 26 Jul 95 00:34:31 EDT

On Tue, 25 Jul 1995 22:30:17 -0500 (CDT) Barry Kopulos wrote:

>I have a hoempage on the web and would like to put osme gifs on it and
>want to know if it is in anon-gif format currentl what specs should I use
>to convert it. I mean how many colors shoud it be in 16/64/256 and what
>size pixels shoud it be. Also should it be
>interlaced/non-interlaced,transparency.
>
>What woudl be the best program to use to help me ge my gifs uponto the
>page. I have the GIF construction kit,graphcis workshop-heard about
>painter anyone know of this one?

Dear Barry,

I've had best results with 256 colors. 16 color gifs are too grainy when
reduced to a size appropriate for web pages. Interlaced gifs seem to load
faster on some browsers, but I find that interlacing is probably best
reserved for larger gifs. Transparency can add a touch of class to the
right gifs, but it really depends on the image and how you wish to use it.
The only way I know to do transparency is with a program called "Giftrans".
I use CorelDraw 5 to create most of my images, LView or Paint Shop Pro to
crop & fine tune them, then use Giftrans to make them transparent. It's
quite a process, but I think the results are worth all the effort.

You can take a look at some of my work at:

http://www.entrepreneurs.net/singles/

I hope these comments help.

Other folks probably do things a lot differently, especially on machines
other than a PC. If anybody else has a better system in the PC environment,
I'd sure like to hear it.

Have fun,
Mike

| Mike Sandburg PO Box 900 |
| Phone: 315-268-8201 Watertown, NY 13601|
| E-mail: mikesand@northnet.org |
| |
| "The greatest thing about my success is how |
| it astonishes everyone who used to know me!" |