Re: color: NCSA Mosaic, Netscape, and HTML3

Brian Behlendorf (brian@organic.com)
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 13:26:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 19 Jul 1995, kitblake wrote:
> The tail:
> >
> >No, we'll just leave you to your <CENTER><BLINK>KooL!</BLINK><CENTER>
> >Netscape "Enhanced" world, and get on with the serious business of
> >constructing useful, powerful and accessible open standards for
> >everyone, that make the Netscape Extensions look like the crude
> >little hacks they are.
> >

> As I read this ongoing discussion I get a strong sense of deja vu. There is
> an Academy, say the Beaux-Arts in France, telling Claude Monet that
> Impressionism is not painting. We all know who Monet is....

We are *not* comparing art styles vs. art styles. I don't think anyone
is saying that attractive documents have no business on the web - quite the
contrary, we are trying to create a basis for an extremely powerful
presentation layer on top of a semantic document language - HTML 3.0 and
style sheets - which will give the document authors an astounding amount
of control over how the page *looks* without mucking up what the document
*says*. Why shouldn't color, alignment, size, and font styles be
applicable to *all* HTML tags, rather than waiting for piecemeal
attribute additions to the <FONT> tag or the <CENTER> tag?

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/