Re: In-line HTML files?

Terry Allen (
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 20:14:00 -0700

Under Dan's "possible developments" one might also list SUBDOC, generally
thought of as evil---but it models what's desired here (arbitrary inclusion
of anything anywhere).

--- Forwarded mail from "Daniel W. Connolly" <>

To: (Keith Rogers)
Cc: Thomas Boutell <>
Cc: HTP Writers Guild <>
Subject: Re: In-line HTML files?
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 22:01:39 -0400
From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <>

In message <>, Keith Rogers writes:
>Is there some facility in HTML for automatically including another HTML
>file within
>a main HTML file, much like the IMG tag includes a graphics file?

This is a very frequently asked question.

I hate to beg, but...

would one of the knowledgeable and capable HTML book/intro/tutorial
writers research this issue and submit an answer to the WWW FAQ

Currently, that would be Thomas Boutell <>

Basically, the options are:

existing technologies:
server-side includes (see NCSA server doc)
cpp/m4/text preprocessor of your choice
possible developments:
(we've got a student implementing this, by the way!
Hi Alex!)

Real SGML Entities (tm)

Daniel W. Connolly "We believe in the interconnectedness of all things"
Research Associate, MIT/W3C PGP: EDF8 A8E4 F3BB 0F3C FD1B 7BE0 716C FF21

--- End of forwarded mail from "Daniel W. Connolly" <>

Terry Allen  (   O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
Editor, Digital Media Group    101 Morris St.
			       Sebastopol, Calif., 95472

A Davenport Group sponsor. For information on the Davenport Group see or