Re: Server-side data conversion and Internet bandwidth (was: Re: Multi column layout question.)

Philippe-Andre Prindeville (philipp@res.enst.fr)
Mon, 26 Jun 95 20:03:53 +0200

On Jun 26, 7:52, Jon Wallis wrote:
> This all seems to be getting out-of-hand - HTML is now getting so complex
> (by comparison with HTML "1" anyway) that it is no longer fulfilling its
> original purpose (or at least it's harder to see the wood for the trees).
>
> I agree with the responsible use of images (and strongly promote it in my
> teaching),
> but having to take account of everyone's hardware when you write HTML is
> simply ludicrous - one reason HTML was A Good Thing was precisely that it
> was h/w *independent*.

I'm not saying the HTML should take this into account... But
rather that the server can and should be able to perform the
necessary conversion of data (especially downscaling sound or
image data) when the transfer takes place...

For instance, when transferring an image, the HTML stays the same,
but the JPEG or GIF or AU data might be down-scaled.

-Philip