Re: Back to HTML! [was: What in the world happened to this list?]

Alexei Kosut (akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us)
Thu, 6 Apr 1995 01:30:33 +0500

On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, Bill Brooks wrote:

> Now I have a real, honest-to-goodness HTML query. I'm working on a
> special HTML form, and I want to use side-by-side listboxes. For two
> listboxes, I already know that I can write:

*snip*

> Perhaps this is a little contrived example, but what I want
> to do is a real need. Is there any way to make the client put the
> listboxes side-by-side? If not, is it being considered for 3.0? Thanks
> in advance for your advice and assistance.

Well, the simple way is simply something like:

<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="http://www.calpoly.edu/htbin-post/post-query">
Please choose a Pizza size and toppings:<p>
<SELECT NAME="Pizza" SIZE=5>
<OPTION VALUE="Party">22" Party Pizza
<OPTION VALUE="Family">18" Family Pizza
<OPTION> 16" Large Pizza
<OPTION> 14" Medium Pizza
<OPTION> 12" Personal Pizza
</SELECT>
<SELECT NAME="extra toppings" SIZE=8>
<OPTION>Mushrooms
<OPTION>Green Pepper
<OPTION>Onions
<OPTION>Jalepenos
</SELECT>

etc...

This will put the two SELECT boxes next to each other if the browser has
enough room to display both of them.

You did mention HTML 3.0, so I'll say that using HTML 3.0 tables may be a
better way to do this. You could do something like:

<TABLE BORDER>
<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="http://www.calpoly.edu/htbin-post/post-query">
<TR><TH>Please choose a Pizza size</TH><TH>What toppings would you
like?</TH></TR>
<TR><TD>
<SELECT NAME="Pizza" SIZE=5>
<OPTION VALUE="Party">22" Party Pizza