CHANGED tag (was Re: HTML 3.0 icon entities)

Michael Johnson (michaelj@relay.relay.com)
Mon, 9 Jan 1995 21:19:48 +0100

Brian Behlendorf wrote:
..my call for resurrection of CHANGED tag omitted...
>I'd rather see a more general solution, so we could mark document
>revisions of Acrobat files, GIF images, etc.... I could see it a part of
>the HTTP or URI (most definitely URI) specs, but not as part of a
>data type spec.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in describing what the CHANGED tag does. It does not
mark the document as changed for purposes of retrieval. It marks sections of
a document as changed for purposes of showing a reader where revisions from
the previous version have been made.

This is quite commonly used in technical documentation. Typically the changed
areas are marked with "revision bars" which are vertical lines in the left
margin next to the changed lines.

Michael Johnson
Relay Technology, Inc.