Re: Writing HTML-documents

Debbie Sinmao (debbie@cdinet.com)
Tue, 29 Nov 1994 16:07:41 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 25 Nov 1994, Chris de Bree wrote:

> I am currently writing HTML-documents for Mosaic with: HTML Assistant
> hypertext editor, version 1.0a. Can anybody tell me if there already
> is a new, better version of this hypertext editor I can use ? Or does
> anyone know other, better editors to write HTML-document with for
> Mosaic ?

Hi Chris,

According to the 17 August 1994 HTML Assistant FAQ, the current version
is 1.0A. Is this what you have?

I've never used HTML Assistant before--I just know that it's a Windows
based html editor. However...

I've been using 2 other hypertext editors:

One is for the Macintosh only. The program is called BBEdit. It is
available from Bare Bones Software for a student rate of US$34 (i gather
by your e-mail address that you are a student). The company's e-mail
address is bbsw@netcom.com. There are two versions of this program: a
freeware version, BBEdit Lite, and a commercial version, BBEdit. The
latest release of both versions is 3.0. You could ftp a demo version of
BBEdit 3.0 and the freeware version BBEdit Lite 3.0 at ftp.std.com--both
files are in the /pub/bbedit directory. Also, there are 2 developers
who've come up (individually) w/ html extensions to go w/ BBEdit and
BBedit Lite. One is Lindsay Davies at University of York in the UK. You
could find her files at:
http://www.york.ac.uk/!ld11/BBEditTools.html
ftp.york.ac.uk /pub/users/ld11/
(p.s. Lindsay's extensions has a preview function!)
The other is Carles Bellver at Universitat Jaume I in Spain. You could
find his files at:
http://www.uji.es/bbedit-html-extensions.html
ftp.uji.es /pub/uji-ftp/mac/util/bbedit-html-ext.sea.hqx

(n.b. BBEdit is tres facile to use and html extensions make writing up
documents in html a snap.)

The other html editor that I use is HoTMetal Pro by SoftQuad HotMetal.
The commercial version is US$195 for the Microsoft Windows version and
US$195 for the Sun OS 4.13 Motif version (other versions are supposedly
forthcoming). SoftQuad's e-mail address is sales@sq.com. The freeware
version for Windows and the freeware version for Sun Motif are
available at the following ftp sites:
ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu
/Web/html/hotmetal/
doc.ic.ac.uk
/packages/WWW/ncsa/
gatekeeper.dec.com
/net/inofsys/Mosaic/contrib/SoftQuad

(n.b. this program has a lot of nifty features: preview, macros, HTML
validation check, built-in graphical table editor, plus more)