Re[2]: Netscape & New HTML

Sheerin, Peter (psheerin@mfi.com)
Thu, 27 Oct 94 09:05:26 PST

There is one concise point that I think should be made. In something
like HTML that is going to be viewed by a wide variety of users, and
by a variety of different browsers(eve if it's only two), and on a
wide variety of operating systems, there needs to be a certian level
of abstraction to ensure that a document is going to make sense
anyplace.

OK, so let's assume that there will only be one viewer (Hear ye, hear
ye! All bow down before the King <insert "NCSA", "Lynx", "Netcruiser",
"Netscape", or the OS/2 web browser>).

Ok, now what the devil is Lynx supposed to do when it runs into
something like <style font=Helvetica size=24pt ...>, when the author
chose to use that instead of <title>? It won't have a clue. That's a
bad example, but shows the extreme of the problem.

Howabout an author specing a font like <style font=WingDings...> or
document on Netscape for Unix, and don't (and won't ever, likely) have
either of those two fonts?

If we're going to be specing specific fonts, then the *ONLY* way it
should be done is using a standard such as Adobe's multiple-master
fonts, where an approximation can be made on any system configured
with the standard base fonts, or the HTML document includes the
embedded definition of the font.

Otherwise, we need to stick to at least a certian level of abstraction
(like <pre> or <code> instead of <font=courier 10 point> when we want
to specify a fixed-space font) so that different systems can generate
an appropriate view, even if they don't have the specific font which
one particular author decided to use during the blue moon.