Re: About wanting control over the look of a page

Kevin Hughes (kevinh@eit.COM)
Fri, 3 Jun 94 11:51:03 PDT

> From: lilley@v5.cgu.mcc.ac.uk (Chris Lilley, Computer Graphics Unit)
>
> Marius said:
>
> >Together with the design firm I work with, I just landed
> >a contract with Norwegian Telecom Research that will
> >pay us NOK 96000 (about $13000, I guess) for designing
> >the look of their commercial WWW services.
> ^^^^^^^^
>
> >WWW-design is the first true example of graphic design on
> >the net, and should be appreciated as such.

The Web was created to serve technical and scientific needs,
unfortunately, and it still shows. I don't think it's out of line to
say that HTML (and even SGML-based systems) has been a sorry medium
for hypermedia design and layout. In many areas it has been wildly
successful, but it's easy to give people the wrong impression that
HTML can do everything.
Of course it's possible to make good-looking things with
HTML, to a certain extent. But I'm looking forward to the day when
there is a non SGML-based alternative that can coexist on the Web
for artists and designers who believe that there is more to information
than just characters.

-- Kevin

--
Kevin Hughes * kevinh@eit.com